My first website

I am currently designing my first website without the use of templates. I am looking for comments. Please tell me what I need to hear and not what I want to hear. lol Thanks in advance. https://phcode.site/p/p-6f9825af2a2/my%20test/ This is a site about rock hounding in Idaho.

2 Likes

Congrats on your first website! It definitely looks a lot more fully featured than my first few websites.
After taking a quick look at the site, the biggest issue I saw was lack of readability, especially on the home page. Most of the text was fine, but some of it can really blend into the background. To fix this, I’d consider putting a semi-transparent box behind the text to help make it more readable while still keeping the picture behind visible.
Hope this was helpful and good luck on developing your website further!

1 Like

Congratulations! My first website didn’t achieve most of what you already have, lol! You will improve greatly as you gain more skills. You will do well.

1 Like

Thank you for your input. I will see what I can do about that.

Thank you. I am definetly having fun learning how to design websites.

Looks great! I’m also a beginner (more so than you, in fact!), but I can tell it’s well done. The only thing would be some accessiblity features. The text could be a bit more readable (more contrast with the background) and mabe use higher definition background photos to make it look real proffessional, you know.
But great job. I’m rooting for you!
Nicolas

Thank you and good luck to you also.

1 Like

That is great to see your website. but the text is too bold. It is just increasing the disengagement. Also,put different images in your website so it won’t look as the static ones. Static websites are good for beginners only. Your website seems based on tourist theme. Why don’t you try WordPress? It will help you more. Or else, learn some advanced skills in PHP and other website framework to build a compelling website.

1 Like

Thank you MilesWeb. I will look into your suggestions. I already use WordPress for a club site that I am webmaster for. It actually took 3rd place last year in the annual Northwest Federation of Mineral Societies web competition. I am also learning advanced programming. I have done the course on JavaScript, but still a little uncomfortable there! I am currently working on the Front End Course. Once again, thank you for your input.

1 Like

i just check your website it look great

1 Like

Thank you very much!

1 Like

I think it is terrific. Great Job. I would suggest going crazy awesome with CSS and then maybe add some funky Javascript button functions.
Great job. I need to get going too :slight_smile:

I found it very interesting. It’s full of content and I like the pictures. It could benefit with more Styling (with CSS).

As samjg said, there are parts where the text confuses with the background. As in the picture below:
imagen

I’d use a sans-serif typography. Add some kind of white transparent overlay to the background so the text is more readable.

Since you are using a main tag, change the html to use also the nav and footer semantic tags.

Use <header><nav> instead of <div class="topnav">. Also change <div class="footer"> for <footer>