There are .click() and .click(function()). Why .click() still runs the function in the second .click?

There are .click() and .click(function()).

Why .click() runs the function in the second .click? Is it implicit?

The keypress is triggered when Enter key is hit targeting the input form
while the second script runs when the ‘Search’ button is Clicked.

Hello there!

If I’m not mistaken click() and click(function()) are not at all similar. According to the jQuery API Documentation:

• click() is the same as trigger("click")
  • click(function()) is a shortcut of on("click", handler)

I made the decision to not use click(handler) shortcut not longer after I started learning through the FCC curriculum just to avoid this confusion. It’s just a personal preference though!

I hope that helps! :slight_smile:

EDIT: I just realised that I went into my own little world didn’t answer the question at all. :frowning: I would refer to @michealhall’s answer!

1 Like

It should also be noted that most browsers have a built-in feature whereby if you have a form with a single button, pressing enter while inside an input field will trigger a click event on the button.

Here’s an example. Just put your mouse in the text field and hit enter, in most modern browsers you will see the click event, even though we’re not explicitly calling it from the text input field.

I’m not sure but I tested the functionality. The enter button works with .keypress even without an actionable function within itself.

Now that I see the full code listing, you don’t have a form tag, so the feature I mentioned is not at play here. Refer to @honmanyau 's answer.

As others have noted, the .click() method call triggers the click event. Another gotcha is that, if a button has focus, even the spacebar will trigger the click event.

From a coding standpoint, I make it a practice to always use the .on( 'eventtype', handler_function ) form, rather than using the shorthand equivalents. I find it’s clearer and easier to understand. I also always use an event namespace (see the jQuery docs already posted) so that I can easily unbind events from the UI, if needed (very useful in a dynamic, changing interface).

Additionally, I do not use methods like .click() or .change() to trigger an event on the UI as that tightly binds your logic to the UI structure. (I have used it in the past and, wherever I find it, I refactor it out without mercy!).

It’s much better to extract the handler into its own function that all methods which need it can refer to. That way, if you change your UI structure or naming/IDs, you don’t break your JS in some unexpected way. It also allows you to use your handler function outside of UI interactions.

Finally, it’s a good idea to select elements once into variables and then use them without re-selecting them. That saves execution overhead (every time you do something like $( '#select' ) that element has to be found in the document … It’s unnecessary repetition. Saving to a variable also means that, if do you change the naming, you only have to change it in the variable declaration, not throughout the code.

So, your example might refactor out to something like …

const $search_input  = $( '#search-input' );
const $search_button = $( '#search' );

$search_input.on( 'keydown', ( e ) => {

if ( e.which === 13 )
	{
		do_search( $search_input.val() );
		return;
	}

});

$search_button.on( 'click', () => do_search( $search_input.val() ) );

function do_search( search_value ){

/*
		NOW YOUR SEARCH FUNCTION CAN BE CALLED AT ANY TIME, INDEPENDENT OF UI STATE
		AND CAN BE PASSED IN ANY VALUE (EVEN A CACHED VALUE SO THAT YOU CAN RESTORE A PREVIOUS SEARCH EASILY).
	*/

}

There are some other things you can do, like adding a setTimeout/clearTimeout to your keydown function handler so that you wait a certain amount of time before searching so that you aren’t hammering your search function with every keystroke (this is very useful especially in cases where you are fetching data via XHR or making large changes to the UI), but those are additional refinements.

2 Likes

Thanks! Very comprehensive but I felt it’s a little way beyond my current level. Is there any video tutorial that explains what you have stated? It would help me better that way. I tried to YouTube some of those functions but often find myself fairly confused with all the different syntax. Some used the .on function while some uses .click. I don’t think there’s any explanation on this in the FCC curriculum as far as I have gone through.

$("#search").click();

means generate a click event, or simulate a mouse-click on the button .

and :

$("#search").click(function(){ ...perform those actions... })

means execute the code in this function when the is mouse-clicked.