Struggling to find employment

Looking to gain experience?

Check out my post here: Good Way to Get Experience

I think your problem is location, location, location. That is all.

If asked about education, what should one say?

If you mean during a phone or in-person interview, and also that youā€™re completely self-taught, then be honest, of course. But on a resume (and assuming youā€™re in the US), generally you should omit education if you donā€™t have a college degree, as I already mentioned.

Wow, looking at this thread made me really motivated to keep going with my learning path more than other stories that I have read here and on Medium.

No only @Anthonyf323 fixed all his issues and made a excelent portfolio, but he seems he actually got a job and he is doing really good.

2 Likes

Nice portfolio (other than the blinding white sections (glad I have a dark theme plugin :rofl:)

Noticed heā€™s in Charlotte tooā€¦ I donā€™t know if Anthony reads the forums anymoreā€¦ Iā€™m in the Charlotte area also and am job searching also (Web Development, Software Engineering, QA Testing, and even Mainframeā€¦). Any openings at your current job? :slight_smile:

On another noteā€¦ for anyone currently looking hereā€™s a pretty nice app for tracking your job search. I use it though personally thereā€™s a few things Iā€™d addā€¦ but this guy created it on his own, is free (donations welcome) so I canā€™t complain.

https://jobhound.io/

(Iā€™m not the author- just a user).

Havenā€™t been on here in a while, but came across this and had to reply. If youā€™re in Charlotte Iā€™d highly recommend going through a recruitment agency like TEKsystems. They landed me a contract a year ago that led to a full time conversion.

The biggest companies here are the banks and most donā€™t hire directly. The best chance of getting in is through a contractor position

Thanks Anthonyā€¦

Yepā€¦ Iā€™ve applied through a few recruitment/contracting companies like TEKSystem and SystemTec (one of my former employers- awesome one). Most of my past jobs were contract positions lol. Interesting that the banks donā€™t hire directly when Iā€™ve seen a bunch of job postings on their own sitesā€¦Hmmā€¦