So I got my first job as a front-end web developer

so how was the job interview going? Hope you got something.

its on the headlineā€¦i got the jobā€¦2 month ago

@TinyRick88 Nice thread of posts! Thanks for informing us! I recently joined FCC and I am going through the front-end challenges of FCC right now.

Whatā€™s going on now a days?

thanks, Iā€™m glad you found this topic informative :slight_smile:

today i got my second payslip, so its mean one more month till the end of my probation period.
this is the summary of those first 2 months:

my first project is to help building a UI web app that simplify the process of configuring sensors the mount on an arduino based device. Iā€™m in charge of the front-end side.

on the first month Iā€™ve spent some time, searching for the right technology for this and for future projects.
iā€™ve decided to go with AngularJS and so iā€™ve spent almost 2 weeks learning it and then another week and a half building the first prototype. this helped me to practice what iā€™ve learned and also gave me a better understanding of what we are actually building here.
after showing and getting the approval of the big boss , I spend another week building the second prototype with angular material.

again, we had to make sure that our future project will look and feel similar to each other and so it was important for us to play around and experiment with different frameworks before we start building the final version of the app.

on the second month, after we were satisfied with angularJS and angular material we began working on the (first) final version. we almost there with just a few last touches before releasing it. i was actually hoping to get most of it done today but we were in meeting all day!

first month was nerve wracking. i put a lot of pressure on myself and was constantly worrying.
this last month i calm down a bit and got to enjoy myself more.

all i need to do now is to survive another month :smiley:

oh and good luck on your journey @verv0eren !

8 Likes

Congratulations on finding a job, I hope you enjoy it. Currently a CS student, but Iā€™m doing FCC because itā€™s fun and reinforces what I learn in school. Also ā€“ thanks for the interview tips, glad FCC was able to help you.

Thank you for sharing and good luck on your journeyā€¦ :slight_smile:

I am a new for front-end development too. Hope can success like you

Congratulations @TinyRick88, fantastic effort - very encouraging to read these types of stories, thanks for sharing.

Well done TinyRick88, all the best for you and thanks for sharing your encouraging experience with the community.

But if i go to codecademy and coodschool maybe i got Dispersed !! as i will got information from many sources !

congratulation on the job

1 Like

i believe that as long as the information you get is focus around the same subject, you will only benefit from it

Congrat on your new job and thanks for the encouraging words

You should never quit your job

Thank you so much for sharing the good news as well as advices, seeing this kind of posts is very motivating for beginners :slight_smile:
I wish you successfull work in the job!!

1 Like

Congrats! Seeing your accomplishment in just 6 months motivates me to work even harder now! :blush:

Howā€™s the job going btw?

TinyRick88,

Great comments! Did you self-teach or attend a bootcamp. I ask because I was curious if a newby can self-teach to
job offer or if the bootcamp route is smarter, though much more expensive.

Thank You,
Dussker

going quite well actually. In two weeks time my probation period is over and hopefully they would like to continue with me :slight_smile:
although I got nothing else to compare to, I think Iā€™m somewhat fortunate to work for a small company who have got the privilege to experiment with new technology and dont put a strict deadline on every project.

up until last week I have been working on this one project but due to some major (probably back-end) problem we are now stuck with the release. Itā€™s nothing i can do about it but wait for our senior developer to solve it.

meanwhile, I finished building another small project and packaged it with electron (which i love!) but since the size of the final app is 140MB! Iā€™ve been asked today to try and refactor it to a chrome app. I have no idea how to do it but im about to find out. google here i come XD

good luck to you with your studying.

self taught. you can read more about it on my previous comments.

4 Likes

Congratulation for the achievement! :smiley:

Congratulations on your new job! Your advice is very useful for a web developer who is looking for their first job. But Iā€™d like to add that there is a great opportunity to gain some experience as a freelancer. Freelance job boards, like this one, offer a variety of entry-level projects. And after youā€™ve been working as a freelancer for quite some time itā€™s easier to find a permanent job, because you already have experience.

2 Likes