Our expanded curriculum is now live on beta.freecodecamp.com and we need your help QA'ing it

Why BasicCss is before BasicHtml in beta CFF i cannot solve more of problem because of i didn’t know html ?! unlike LiveCFF ?! i think the map need some work ?

1 Like

Awesome curriculum additions!

Question > If I get my front end developers certificate before the change, will that stay on my profile after the change?

Your progress on beta.freecodecamp.com will stay on beta.freecodecamp.com and your progress on freecodecamp.com will stay on freecodecamp.com.

You can resubmit the URLs for projects you’ve completed. Everything else is optional, anyway, so you shouldn’t have to repeat a lot of effort.

Thanks - that is precisely our goal - to give campers more confidence in their work and reduce ambiguity.

3 Likes

Yes - this is a known issue that @BerkeleyTrue is actively working on fixing.

One of the reasons we’re discontinuing the Front End and Back End certificates is many campers mistakenly think that if they obtain one of these certificates, they’re ready to go get a job as a front end/ back end developer.

In reality, our intention was always that all campers would complete all of the first 1,200 hours before trying to get a job, as we think all web developers should have some basic grasp on all of these topics, even if they end up specializing as a front end or back end developer.

By changing the names of these certificates, we hope to eliminate this confusion and reinforce that these are all just skills that a web developer needs.

14 Likes

Silly question here. I’m going through some of the beta right now and finding typos here and there. Should I really go in and make separate issues for each one I find, or could I manually fix these via a pull request?

Updated curriculum looks Great! I’m excited to see the expanded certificates. I’ve to start all over again. amazing challenges!

1 Like

We’re still able to get the current certifications until they’re replaced, right?

Also, any word on the timeframe for this? I am getting close to a certificate and not sure if I should drop it or not. Days? Weeks? Months?

Thanks.

It’s funny but suddenly with what @P1xt and @QuincyLarson have said, I have another understanding of the certificate. I won’t deny it meant the world to me at first - for personal reasons, but now I just want to learn whatever’s out there. My certificate will be whatever I manage to do with it.

Of course I still want the little buggers as they’re the condition for working with NGOs at the end .

Oh, I shouldn’t post this here.

@quincy Good job man. I can’t express how grateful I am to you and everyone associated with fcc.
I’m definitely jumping into this right away

@ Quincy
Understood. Noted. Thank you for the answer.

Hey Quincy,

I found a few errors in the map section of the beta.

Took screenshots, which I am posting here

There is a missing algorithm challenge here

If I click this, it collapses the whole Responsive Web Design section which is a parent of this Responsive Web Design Section that the arrow is pointing to.

Thank you for all the fish :smiley:

1 Like

Hi @Quincy

First of all, thx for all the effort you and everybody are putting in these new projects/challenges i will try to do my part and help out. Personally i am very excited to see these changes in the FCC curriculum.

Currently i am in the middle of the BE-dev exercices and despite the fact that looks like they are going away, what i learned while doing them is not :slight_smile:

I completely agree with you when you say campers believe the old certificates were “enough” to be ready for DEV, however i do believe the “buzzwords” should be there. I am currently not looking for a job, but as we know the CV’s the campers will send as a response to job adds will be screened by a piece of Software before anyone gets their eyes on it. All this SW does is it looks for “buzzwords / keywords” (certification for “Information Security And Quality Assurance” is not going to turn heads).

As suggested in this thread i think the solution could be a “3-tier” certification, ideally allowing for deprecated certifications (so, a FE-DEV 2017 could have a different certif than a FE-DEV 2015… after all their curriculum’s were different).

This is similar to what Microsoft, Cisco, etc. have been doing for years with the “end-goal” being to reach a “higher level” of certification (in their case “paying for the privilege” while doing it).

Below is a possible diagram of the “Full-Stack Development certification” for the 2017 curriculum.

Just my thoughts on the subject… again, thx all for your effords!!

Sérgio

7 Likes

I’m not sure what the preferred process is for FCC, but typically you want to create an Issue even if you are going to immediately going to assign it to yourself and submit a fix. This helps provide context for your PR and also prevents duplicate effort (possibly resulting in conflicts).

1 Like
  1. Is my current curriculum data moved to the extended curriculum once it gets to production?
  2. Will the current curriculum be archived when the switch happens?
  1. No, different databases.
  2. I don’t know. You will probably keep your challenges and points but, you will not be able to access the old challenges again.

Super excited about. Kudos to everyone for all the hard work…

If I am to start freecodecamp, should I use the beta?

1 Like

Probably not. Progress from beta won’t be saved once the curriculum has been updated. The beta version also still contains a number of bugs, which I imagine would be very frustrating for someone who is just getting started. Feel free to use the beta site as an additional resource and to guide your study with an eye to the future, but I would recommend using freecodecamp.com while you are still learning the ropes.