Help about U.S college/university?

This thread started off as a different topic, but later devolved into a “should I attend college for CS or not attend college” conversation that may shed some useful light on a few people’s opinions (mine included).

TL;DR: I wouldn’t be the person I am today without college, and though I didn’t major in anything CS or programming related, it’s still been crucial to my development as a developer. (Hehe.)

Slightly longer answer: if you have the opportunity to attend college without an enormously significant financial burden, I say yes. Not at all for job preparation - in fact, you might not learn a lot that’s directly related to future jobs. What you will learn are all of the intangibles - how to think critically and solve problems, how to be an involved and informed citizen of the world, how to express your views and experiences and debate articulately, how to work and deal with others, and maybe even gain a better understanding of the kinds of things (subjects, people, industries, etc.) that you like and don’t like. If you seek them out, you can also gain invaluable, life-long friendship and mentorship. To be fair, you can do all of this on the job without going to college, but college gives you an environment to experiment in with very few real-life consequences and an environment where your sole goal is learning, which isn’t something that happens often in one’s lifetime - if at all.

I went to college (in the US) for Biochemistry and Psychology - nothing directly related to CS or programming, but the skills I gained have served me incredibly well. My ability to think critically and solve difficult problems (and persevere through said difficult problems) was a byproduct of college. The writing and speaking ability I developed have earned me free tickets to conferences, bootcamp scholarships, and the opportunity to be represent my bootcamp in an interview with a high-profile site (coming soon). In addition, I’ve gained lifelong friends that I still talk to very regularly, mentors that have helped me through some of the more challenging times along my life journey, and a built-in network of people across the country that I can reach out to at any time.

1 Like