Code every day for 25 min

Just a question.
I read a lot of forums and self help Development website and a lot of people say CODE EVERYDAY FOR ABOUT 25 MIN

Now by that does going onto the likes of Lynda.com or YOUTUBE videos and learning and coding from the videos following along, does that count? Or are they saying sit down and try it yourself everyday for a set amount of time? AND not to include your time spent on other courses in the “Code everyday” saying.

Sit down and write code for 25 min.

1 Like

Realistically 25 minutes does nothing. That’s the amount of time it takes for you to figure out where you left off.

10 minutes is require for you to get INTO code and is recommended for everyone who struggles with motivation.

I code minimum 2 hours if I am to write anything.

4 Likes

25min a day, consistently, for a long period a time does build a habit. Which is one of the most important things to keep doing something.

If you do this minimum 25min a day, some days, without a doubt, you will extend that session longer and if you have time maybe you can even reach 2hours. What I am saying is that for most people consistent every day practice is great first step.

4 Likes

i just starting with FCC about a month ago, i do at least an hour a day. point of this like mentioned above is to build habit and consistency. before going on to my computer i distinguish if the session is going to be a learning session (reading, watching videos etc.) or a preactice session. this all depends on how well i absorbed the material the previous day. this works for myself, just keep a momentum going you do great!

I’ve been approaching this as I a approach piano practice: make myself do an hour a day - 15 mins to warm up, 30 mins of proper practice and 15 mins to plan what you’re going to do in the next session. This is a only a framework, it rarely comes out exactly this way - but I’ve found it works well for me, as a base line. Almost always I end up doing more, because you get absorbed by it. But if I make sure I do at least that, and that keeps me progressessing.

2 Likes

I’ve been dreading even getting started. Not sure how you guys did it but with over 2000 hours this would take me a year doing 40 hour weeks. How do you get the time with a full time job? It seems overwhelming at the start. I’d love the help and advice. Thanks!

1 Like

2000 hours is a baseline, but I would not focus so much on that.

There are a lot of hours in the day, and you can optimize even with having a family and a FT job. You can be learning even when it is not an optimal time to do so.

For example, I have a commute to work and that is about 2H a day, while I cannot code during that time (I have to drive), I can listen to tech podcasts to keep up what’s latest, get myself familiar with tech vocabulary and overall be engaged in the community.
You can also grab a book and read that during you lunch break, again keeping your brain engaged in code and thinking, even subconsciously about coding problems.
The most important part is to have a dedicated, carved out time most days. Be it early in the morning or later after work. Those must be uncompromising, quiet periods of time where you should focus on the goal, actual coding and striving for some goal.

That humongous 2000hour barrier will start melting away faster than you can imagine if you implement structure and utilize time you spend on entertainment, browsing web, etc to learn.
Start today.

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply. I would like to know if you can tell me some good pod casts I can listen to? Thanks

Baby steps, have GitHub commits everyday, work on something everyday, learn something everyday.

The key is discipline and interest combined to create excitement everytime I get to my block of the day when I can code.

1 Like

This is a good place to start:

I also enjoy ShopTalk Show, JS Jabber and JS Party that are not part of that list.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t focus on “time” based progress. Because how do you really measure 10,000 hours?. Is it when you finish a project, or is it when you read a book? Western culture had done a good job of splitting hairs to “explain” things. But really it isn’t all that complicated.

Instead, focus on mastery approach, be really good at a few things and build on that. If you are learning html, learn deeply on that subject and build projects on it then add other skills on top.

If you are stressing over a numeric guideline, chances are you will find this walk really stressful. Since there are more that you don’t know than you will ever have time for.

4 Likes

I think this is more of a at least code for 25 minute everyday. 25 min is not a long time, so you could trick your mind to start coding, then you can continue even after 25 minutes is over. This works really well to overcome procrastination.

1 Like

Awesome thanks i will have a look and a listen

I’ve been timing myself when working on the “Map” and it appears to take me about 1 hour for every “5” hours it says. Granted, I know a little bit of Java and other languages so I’m not 100% noob but I still take the time to sit, read and then do whatever the map says to do.

So don’t pay attention to the time!

1 Like

You know that funFun expression “a journey of a thousand steps starts with one step:wink:

1 Like

I had a guru once who mentioned that we’re way too hard on ourselves.

Listen, the science of learning says regular refreshers over time is better than long cramming sessions. It’s really about doing it regularly. But it doesn’t have to be so rigid… 25 mins of only coding counts… maybe…

Writing something out (physically, pen on paper) is better for recall than just ‘highlighting’ in a book. So all those notes you took in school? Better for recall… does this mean maybe coding is better than videos? maybe… But will you learn something from videos? you bet. It’s just harder to recall… but this all builds on itself for you.

20 minutes is what it takes to ‘overcome’ procrastination (see pomodoro techiniques)

you need about 20 hours of focused practice to reach a good progress on the so-called ‘learning curve’…

Becoming competent

There’s a lot of science out there that defines what these numbers all mean and where they come from…

But honestly… doing a little each day over time is better than just thinking about it. Do what works for you. Try some of these techniques out… suggested above… and just go for it. You’ll find your groove.

Don’t get too bogged down in what others say you need to be doing to meet their ‘100 days of coding’ challenges. Any way you challenge yourself is better than no-challenge. Just keep at it.

1 Like

Basically the important words are:

Code
every
day.

How long? In what way? Code what? are all secondary, at least when starting out.

The answer to those is as much as possible.

1 Like