Can you give some advice to a future immigrant?

Hello Campers,

I’m writing this from Turkey.

DV Lottery results announced at the beginning of this month. As you can understand where am i getting is that my wife is selected! If we can pass the councelor interview we will be in US next year.

Currently Im working in a bank as System Administrator focused on disaster recovery and backup management for 2 years. About a year ago i decided learn front end development as a hobby and like 3-4 months ago decided to change my career to Frontend development (I said i want to create things not operate!) and begin FCC (Thank you for this awesome project and community)

With this green card situation i decided to begin a fresh career in US.

I have BASC in Information Systems and Thecnology with full scholar ship in Turkey and my TOEFL score is 72.

So Dear Campers,

Do you have any suggestions for me?
What path should i go or do i have any path?

(Keep in mind that I’m not a native english speaker.)

I think I am going through the most stressful period of my life.

I wish to be in one of the succes stories in FCC and willing to do anything possible for it :slight_smile:

Thank you for your answers. It is getting late here sorry if i cant answer quickly

Hi,

I don’t have much in the way of specific advice, but since no one has answered and I don’t want you to feel lonely…

First of all, you’re English seems pretty darn good so I wouldn’t worry about it. The tech sector especially has many non-native English speakers. I think a TOEFL score of 72 puts you on the high side of intermediate so for most places that will probably be OK (I’m guessing). Obviously better is better, but there are probably more than a few tech immigrants here with lesser English. Heck, I know a few Americans that probably couldn’t score that. :wink:

As far as path, there are so many different paths that it’s hard to say. I would recommend just absorbing as much as you can, getting experience where you can, and making some good portfolio projects. Obviously learning the Free Code Camp stuff is good. Getting some Angular is good (so you have a MEAN stack.) Beyond that, it really depends on what you want to do. If web dev is what you really want to do, then I’d just look at what the most in demand languages are (plenty of other posts dealing with that.) There are so many languages, libraries, and frameworks that it’s impossible to qualify for every job. But if you get a solid foundation and show that you can learn new technologies quickly there will be opportunities.

Employment opportunities will depend greatly on your portfolio, experience, and how well you sell yourself. And of course luck. You have a degree in a related field, so that helps.

Again, I’m no expert with this stuff, but I didn’t want you to go unanswered.

Good luck, or İyi şanslar! (Thank you, Google Translate!)

I’m hoping to immigrate to Spain within the next several years, so you can send some of that luck back this way when you’re done using it. :wink:

1 Like

Can’t offer much in the way of advice, but I’d just like to wish you luck. As @ksjazzguitar said, try not to freak yourself out too much about your English (just be patient with us sheltered Americans who take a while to adjust to your accent and speech patterns). I hope that when you come over to The States there will be an active FCC group around you, and that you’ll find a ready-made support system in them (check out: A fast new way to find people in your city to code with). I know this isn’t the way we appear to the world, but most Americans admire the hell out of immigrants and hope you find a home here.

Hey,

Thank you @ksjazzguitar you gave me courage that i need. I hope that your wishes will come true soon :slight_smile:

And thank you too @ArielLeslie i have some fear in this immigration / settlement process so i hope we meet right persons.

I already listed meeting campers to my todo list after our arrival but we are not sure where to go yet. This subject has some variables like my wife company can give her an offer if we are lucky or find some relatives in a state etc. anyway

Thank you both again