Is free Code Camp's full stack web development certificate enough to get a job?

I’m an Engineering student and I’m new here at FCC. I would like to know whether FCC certificates, both front-end and back-end are enough to get a job as a Web-Developer? Since i’ve joined the FCC course, i’ve been completing all the challenges quite easily, I guess it won’t take me longer than a year to achieve both certificates. Since the beginning day i was wondering about this question, whether FCC certification is enough for a job or i gotta do something else in order to get a job??
Please answer my query, I need to know it!

2 Likes

People have gotten jobs prior to finishing, so theoretically yes. But I imagine that lots of other factors come into play, such as the nature of employment opportunities in your region, other work experience you bring to the table, soft-skills, and the quality of your portfolio.

I haven’t got a dev job yet, but I plan to within a year and I think FCC has given me a major boost in that being a real prospect and not just a daydream! I probably won’t finish the entire course, but if I crank out the other material fast enough, I hope to get at least one of the greenfield projects for the final very done.

5 Likes

Well, i live here in India, and i’m studing Computer Science & Engineering from an esteemed college here. I see not much scope for web-developers here in India. Only thing i’ve got in my mind is Freelancing sites like Upwork. So, I needed some motivation. Thank-you Sir @JacksonBates .

3 Likes

What you need for a dev job is skills. It does not matter if you acquire them on FCC or somewhere else. And as previous poster said a good portfolio will get you far.

However, if there are not many opportunities in your region and you are not willing to relocate, than it is all for nothing. I found myself in a similar situation, so I decided to learn a new language and relocate to where the opportunities are. And it’s totally different world there.

This journey last for a few months now and I already had some interviews but didn’t get a job. But that’s part of it I guess. So good luck to you!

5 Likes

Free Code Camp is what you make it.

6 Likes

No certificate, nor any degree from any school, is enough to get a job by itself.

See the first paragraph of my comment here. You will get a job by showing you’re passionate about it. No piece of paper (or screen capture :wink:) will be able to do that.

In my experience hiring, I never weighted someone with a degree over someone without one (or someone with one in a different field). This may partially be due to the fact that I have no degree myself, but that didn’t stop me from finding the right opportunities and becoming VP of Software Engineering and CTO at a startup that went on to be successful, in large part, at least in the early years, due to my work.

18 Likes

@ShawnMilo is right… In anything in life… Just as a gun doesn’t kill a person, a CERTIFICATE/DEGREE/TROPHY/Whatever won’t GET you a job. YOU get you a job. And you do this by being extremely passionate for what you do, doing a good job, having the necessary skills, putting in long hours, and not giving up…

Now, in part, those are things that are required to get a cert or a degree… But if you think all you gotta do to get a job in this day and age is to get a cert or a degree, then you can just kick your feet up and expect people to hire you… You’re mistaken. If you really want to know what you gotta do, Go read this.

1 Like

Unfortunately, you are the exception to the norm, and there aren’t enough people out there in hiring positions that are like you. That’s not to say this person won’t find “one of you”, but I’m just trying to put it into perspective.

1 Like

I’m not sure about that. I got to where I am without a degree. I still have no degrees, certifications, or other credentials beyond a high school diploma. Also, many, many people in computer science have degrees in other fields. We have writers, lawyers, artists, business majors, and many others.

Most job descriptions I’ve seen which mention a required degree also say “or equivalent experience.” There are certainly exceptions to that, but if anyone with technical ability is involved in the interview process, the “equivalent experience” guy is going to beat the guy with the degree who doesn’t have any experience every time.

1 Like

I’m thinking more from a perspective of someone who hasn’t been able to get that first job and therefore doesn’t have any “documentable” experience. I know several people who are going through this right now or have in the recent past. It’s difficult to get that “first” job to build your resume with when you don’t have much more than maybe a portfolio website or a few freelance projects to show for experience.

1 Like

I certainly hope so! I suppose we’ll see. I’m working through Data Visualization after finishing Front-End, then moving on to The Full Stack track. My goal is to work on and complete nonprofit projects through FCC afterwards.

3 Likes

I already have a position, but I need to work on my skills, so I’m off this summer from school and plan to complete the Front End Cert myself.

1 Like

me right now… i feel im qulaified for at least an entry level position and im struggling to get an interview… i filled out at least over 50apps and the only interiew i got was a refferall from a FCC’er … its frustrating

1 Like

You likely aren’t going to find your first job by filling out applications and submitting your resume online. You need to get out and network with people face to face in coding groups, meetups, tech talks, co-working spaces, etc. That’s where you can show to people how excited and passionate you are about the industry and how excited you are to learn more. The power of a personal referral is what got you that first interview.

Find, meet, and impress more people who have the ability to give you more of those referrals.

Edited to add: Don’t be afraid to present or give talks at these meetups. That shows a lot about someone new to the field that they are willing to stand up in front of a room of people who probably have more experience than they, and give a talk on something.

4 Likes

Where do i find these meet-ups? im new to Washington so i dont know much of anyone let alone people in my field who would want to hire me

Where are you in Washington?

Here’s the list of local FCC campsites to join.

Check out Meetup.com

Google for co-working/hacker/maker spaces in your town.

If you’re near one of the larger cities in Washington, there will be tech conferences/talks/etc to attend.

I actually live in Bellevue, WA, so if you’re on the Eastside, I’d be glad to help get you plugged into the groups I attend.

yes please! i actually live in Tacoma right now & once i was able to land a job i planned to move to the Seattle/Bellevue/Renton area or wherever the job takes me nearr the seattle area.
but yes, i could use all the help i can get, thank you

Here’s BellevueJS, a meetup group I help organize.

Here’s SeattleJS, the meetup we spun off from.

There doesn’t appear to be much in the way of tech meetup groups in Tacoma. Perhaps you can start one?

Here is the Bellevue FCC campsite, that I admin.

Here is the Seattle FCC campsite.

This is, I believe, the Tacoma FCC campsite.

Here is the subscription form for the WTIA (Washington Technology Industry Association) email newsletter. They have events, talks, etc in that newsletter every few weeks.

Those will get you started. Once you get in there, more events and news will start to percolate into your daily life.

Sir what about people just starting off? i mean people with barely any experience… how do they find their job? as you said, due to competency, there will always be an experienced guy in all the interviews… in such case how can a new inexperienced guy find a job?

I don’t know all the ways, or even the best way. In my own case, I was hired to do help desk work and earned my way up by writing code on my own to help my team and department. So probably some kind of entry-level job is the best place to start, and gain your experience that way.

2 Likes